United bounce back

Glenafton Athletic 0 Cumbernauld United 1

Stagecoach West of Scotland Super League First Division

UNITED bounced back from their midweek disappointment with an excellent three points against a Glenafton side who had won all of their previous six matches.

Although what proved to be United’s winner was clouded with controversy there can be little argument that the visitors were worthy winners in their first visit to Loch Park on league duty.

Despite the overcast conditions the pitch was in good condition and United had the Glens chasing shadows for large parts of the game as the visitors moved the ball from box to box with some slick and effective passing. The home side did have the first shot on target when on 14 minutes a McInnes shot warmed the hands of Buchanan. At the other end a Thomson free-kick found Marsh at the back post and his header across goal found no takers with keeper Semple stranded.

This was a totally different United performance and Thomson and Watt were proving to be a handful for the home side defence. In 22 minutes United scored what turned out to be the winner when Buchanan mopped up a Glens’ attack and with quick thinking launched the ball upfield to danger man Thomson who lobbed it over Semple for Kevin Watt to head into an empty net. Despite loud claims for offside the goal stood and was no more than the visitors deserved.

The home side struggled to get a toe in the game and it was United who continued to impress with neat passing and quick breaks.

A ray of hope before the break saw Glens’ best move when Armstrong and Howie combined to release Wilson down the left flank but his drilled low shot was well held by Buchanan.

The second half followed much the same pattern as the first with the Glens huffing and puffing but unable to penetrate a well organised defence with Dearie and Marsh coping with anything the home side could throw at them.

United should have increased their lead when a through ball from Barclay found Jarvis in the clear, but this shot was well saved by the out-rushing Semple.

The home side continued to push forward and McKenzie waltzed by the United’s defence but his cutback was cleared just in time by Haymen with the Glens’ attack up in numbers.

As the game enter the dying minutes and with the Glens pushing forward a United break saw Ross Haymen run 60 yards in on goal, but lack of match practice saw a weak shot easily saved by Semple.

With eight minutes of injury time played United stood firm to record an excellent and well-deserved three points and seriously damage the Glens’ promotion ambition.

This Saturday United are once again in Ayrshire where they meet Hurlford United with a 2pm kick-off.

CUMBERNAULD UNITED: Buchanan, Dearie, Marsh, Haymen, Morrison, Barclay, Jarvis, Brown, Thomson, Watt, Renwick. Subs: McNally, Steele, Allen, McPhee, McDade, Burns.