United have it all to do again

Stoneywood 2Cumbernauld United 2Scottish Junior Cup

Wednesday, 6th October 2010, 11:27 am
Updated Wednesday, 6th October 2010, 11:27 am

AN away draw in the Scottish Junior Cup against a north region Super League team might seem a good result but United were by far the better side and had enough chances to save Stoneywood the long journey and financial problems of coming to Guy's Meadow for the replay on Saturday.

A combination of poor finishing from United, resolute defending from the Aberdeen team, and a referee determined not to give the visitors any favours, resulted in a somewhat unsatisfactory ending to this cup tie for the Cumbernauld boys.

United, on a lovely autumn afternoon, started the match in confident style eager to notch an early goal. In the 15th minute, after constant pressure, they got their reward when a Kenny Jarvis free kick was cleared to Craig Hill and the big defender hammered a right foot shot home.

It was all United at this stage and the Stoneywood defenders had to resort to some strong and not always legal tackling, to keep the visitors at bay. The Stoneywood men were shown yellow cards as the Cumbernauld boys tried to get a second goal.

Shots from Gary McClymont, Jim Steele, and Gary Gibson came near, but it was Stoneywood who got the next goal when a Cumbernauld defender was adjudged to have fouled a home forward in the penalty area and a spotkick was awarded by the referee. Stoneywood's David Stevenson equalised the scores.

In the remaining ten minutes of the first half United pressed but to no avail as shots went past or harmlessly over the bar.

After the interval Cumbernauld resumed on the attack but were dealt a blow in the 55th minute when David McPhee was sent off when referee Mr Veitch spotted a misdemeanour.

United were still on top despite a man short but things were evened up when Stoneywood's Stevenson was red-carded soon afterwards.

Within a few minutes the home team were minus another man when Shaun Clark was sent for an early bath following a bad tackle.

United's superiority was even more pronounced now and a Gary McClymont rocket hit a post and rebounded to safety. Then the same player blasted over after a fine Kenny Jarvis run.

The visitors finally got reward for all their pressure when Jarvis was through with only Stoneywood goalkeeper Ross Gibson to beat. The home man blocked Kenny's effort but Gary Gibson was on hand to net the rebound.

As the game neared the finish it was all United but poor finishing and some diabolical refereeing decisions against the frustrated Cumbernauld players ensured no more scoring from the visitors.

Further frustration followed when Stoneywood, in a rare foray upfield, forced a corner and when the ball came over left winger Gordon Farmer managed to squeeze the ball home.

Manager John Queen made substitutions to attempt to get a winning goal but to no avail and a replay became a reality.

The replay will be at Guy's Meadow on Saturday with a 2.30pm kick off. Go along and cheer the Cumbernauld boys hopefully into the second round.